Herman Batelaan, Professor
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
075 Jorgensen Hall/855 N. 16th St.
Lincoln, Nebraska 68588-0299
- PhD, Physics, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands, 1991
- Masters, Physics, University of Leiden, The Netherlands, 1987
- “Optically pumped direct extraction electron spin filter” Patent No.: US 6,590,923 B1, July 8, 2003.
- Elements of Physics (151)
- Honors Topics (201H)
- General Physics I (Classical Mechanics, 211)
- General Physics II (electromagnetism, optics) (212, 212H)
- Experimental Physics I (441)
- Experimental Physics II (442)
- Experimental Physics III (443)
- Quantum Mechanics II (917)
- Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics (925)
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, 2009, Citation: “For outstanding contributions to electron matter optics, in particular the measurements of the Kapitza-Dirac effect and elucidation of the Aharonov-Bohm effect.”
- Sigma XI, University of Nebraska Chapter, Outstanding Young Scientist Award, 2003
- Certificate of Recognition for Contributions to Students, Teaching Council of the University of Nebraska, 2000, 2001, 2011, 2012
- Quantized Excitation Spectrum of the Classical Harmonic Oscillator in Zero-Point Radiation, Wayne Cheng-Wei Huang, H. Batelaan, submitted to PRL (2012), arXiv:1206.6891.
- Dynamics Underlying the Gaussian Distribution of the Classical Harmonic Oscillator in Zero-Point Radiation, Wayne Cheng-Wei Huang, H. Batelaan, submitted to PRA (2012), arXiv:1206.5323.
- Controlled double-slit electron diffraction. R. Bach, D. Pope, S. H. Liou, H. Batelaan, submitted to New.J.Phys (2012); http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.6243; (Highlighted in the half hour movie: “The Challenge of Quantum Reality “, http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/Perimeter_Explorations/General/Perimeter_Explorations/).
- Measurement of the ultrafast temporal response of a plasmonic antenna, M. Becker, W. Huang, H. Batelaan, E.J. Smythe, F. Capasso, Ann. der Phys. 5, 201200206 (2012). (Invited)
- On the relation between the Feynman paradox and the Aharonov–Bohm effects, S. McGregor, R. Hotovy, A. Caprez and H. Batelaan, New J. Phys. 14, 093020 (2012).
- Dispersion compensation for attosecond electron pulses, P. Hansen, C. Baumgarten, H. Batelaan, and M. Centurion, Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 083501 (2012).
- Transverse quantum Stern–Gerlach magnets for electrons. S. McGregor, R. Bach, H.Batelaan, New J. of Phys. 13, 065018 (2011). (This paper is an invited paper for a special issue on matter optics.)
- Experimental observation of time-delays associated with electric Matteucci–Pozzi phase shifts. S. Hilbert, A. Caprez, H. Batelaan - New J. of Phys., 13 093025 (2011). (This paper is selected as a monthly highlight in NJP and accompanied with a video abstract.)
- Quantum description and properties of electrons emitted from pulsed nanotip electron sources. P. Lougovski, H. Batelaan - Physical Review A, 84, 023417 (2011).
- More variations on Aharonov–Bohm. Peter A. Sturrock, Timothy R. Groves, Alexander Ershkovich, C. Alden Mead, Herman Batelaan, and Akira Tonomura, More variations on Aharonov–Bohm, Physics Today LETTERS 63, Issue 4, (2010).
- The Answer to Rising Gas Prices...Nitrogen? F. Lee, H. Batelaan, Physics Teacher 48 160 (2010).